During the GCSE options process, students are provided with an options booklet and an options form.
The options booklet provides information for each subject delivered at Key Stage 4, detailing the course content, the skills gained, and what assessment methods are used.
This year the options process has changed. In previous years, students were provided with four option blocks and asked to choose one subject from each.
This year, students will be provided with a list of seven different faculties, from which they need to choose two. Within the faculties are different subjects; students will experience lessons in each of these subjects during Year 9. For example, the Art faculty consists of Fine Art, Photography and Art, Craft & Design. If a student opts for the Art faculty, they will rotate around these three subjects throughout Year 9. These are classed as foundation subjects.
At the end of Year 9, students are asked to choose one subject from each of their chosen two faculties to study throughout Y10 and Y11. These are called specialised choices – they are the subjects they feel they enjoyed the most and would best succeed in.
As an example, if a student chose to study Art and ICT throughout Y9, they may choose specialise in Fine Art and iMedia moving forward into Y10.
Y8 Options Process - 2020/21
- Assembly – For students delivered by Mr. Turton. Friday 5th February
- Careers Workshops – Delivered in PSHE lessons. Monday 1st to Friday 12th February
- Predicted student grades – Posted home. Wednesday-Friday 10th to 12th February
Options Evening – Wednesday 24th February
Three Main assemblies for parents and students delivered by Mr. Turton – 5pm, 5.30pm and 6pm. Then 15 minute slots with faculties to be booked via Google Hangouts. Each 15 minute slot will have a welcome talk by the Faculty Leader, a short video, and time allocated for Q&A’s from parents/carers.
- Options Form – Emailed to students Thursday 25th February
- Parent Careers Advice Week – w/c 1st March
- Deadline for completed option forms – Wednesday 10th March
- Individual option meetings with students and SLT – w/c 15th March
- Options finalised and letter posted home – Friday 9th April
Y9 Options Process - 2020/21
|Year 9 Options
As outlined above, at the end of Y9 students will specialise in two subjects from their chosen faculties. In addition to this, all students will then be asked to choose which Humanities and
Language they would like to continue with moving forward into Y10. This will be a choice between Geography and History for Humanities and French, German or Spanish for their Language.
|Some students may not study a language – they will choose another subject from the subjects covered during Y9. This will be based on the student’s potential for success and at the discretion of SLT.|
|Students will then be invited to a one to one interview with a member of SLT to discuss their subject choices. During this short interview, SLT will look at each student’s current attainment grades, ask why each subject was chosen, and discuss career pathways the student would like to pursue in the future.|
|If at this point a student has opted to take a subject SLT feels would put them at a disadvantage, this will be discussed at length and alternative choices that are more suitable will be provided.|
|At the end of the interview, each student will be advised their options are confirmed. Parents will receive a letter in due course detailing the choices made.|
Y9 Options Process – 2020/21
- Assembly for students delivered by Mr Turton – w/c 8th March
- Options form given to students in school – After assembly
- Parent Careers Advice Week – Online appointments w/c 15th March (please email firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment)
- Deadline for completed forms – Wednesday 24th March
- Individual option meetings with student and SLT – After Easter break
- Options finalised and confirmation letter posted home once all interviews have taken place.