Getting Your Child Reading
5 Top Tips: Getting Your Child Reading
Discuss the cover of the book with your child
- Can you predict what the book is about?
- Why might the author have used that picture?
- What could the title tell us about the book?
Make it fun!
- Use different voices for different characters.
- Take it in turn to read different parts.
- Praise and reward your child when they do well.
Get feedback at the end
- What did you like the most?
- What didn’t you like?
Ask your child questions as you read
- How do you think the characters are feeling?
- What do you think might happen next?
- Why did that just happen?
Help them to unpick difficult words and sentences
- Use picture clues.
- Look at the other words in the sentence.
- Break down long sentences into smaller parts.